Is it necessary for travelers to obtain a Turkey transit visa en route to reach another country or for other purposes? Generally, when visitors leave the airport for a period of time, they will need a transit visa for Turkey. In other words, if the visitors still stay inside the transit area of the airport, there is no need for a Turkey Transit Visa. In order to know more about a transit visa for Turkey, let’s spend a bit of your time reading this article for more details!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Turkey Transit Visa
Why do you need to obtain a Turkey Transit Visa?
Basically, there are primary reasons why you should have a Turkey Transit Visa:
- Travelers will stay in Turkey during layovers to connect your next flight.
- Travelers intend to pass through immigration.
Who needs a Turkey Transit Visa?
If you got familiar with Turkey visas before, the transit visa would be also similar to other visa types such as Turkey e-Visa online and Turkey Tourist Visa. Moreover, if you want a visa to enter Turkey for the purpose of tourism and business, you have to get a transit visa.
For whatever reason for transit requirements, you are required to have one of the two visas as follows:
- A Turkey e-Visa
- A Turkey sticker visa
Notably, in case foreign citizens are listed in visa-free countries, they are not required to apply for any visas mentioned above.
Do I need a Visa for a layover in Turkey?
- Yes, you do. If Turkey is a transit for you to reach your destination country or even if you only stay there overnight, you should possess this type of visa.
- Especially if you have a chance to transit at Istanbul Airport, you should have a Turkey transit visa in order to go around and enjoy one of the most famous tourist attractions in Istanbul city while you are in the process of waiting for connecting flights, so why not?
How to apply for a Turkey Transit Visa?
First and foremost, you need to choose the appropriate transit visa type for your trip purpose.
You have to meet the requirements for a Turkey e-Visa or a Turkey sticker visa because each one will have a different application procedure.
As for Turkey Transit Visa online
It may take visitors around 15-20 minutes to finish the application process if you go for this type of visa. There are three basic steps:
Step 1: Application
You have to fill out all of your personal information or secure online form. Keep in mind that you must be responsible for what you provide because minor mistakes such as spelling or wrong numbers will result in delays or failure.
Step 2: Make the payment
The applicants will use one of the means of payments as follows:
Debit cards, credit cards, PayPal accounts, Mastercard.
Note: Paying by cash is not acceptable for this case.
Step 3: Download
When you finish the first two steps successfully, you will receive the digital copy of your transit visa. After that, you need to print it out and present it at the Immigration Checkpoint for entry permits.
As for a Turkey Sticker Visa
There are two options when you choose a Turkey sticker visa: Single and Double Transit.
Unlike to a Turkey Transit Visa online, this process consists of 5 steps:
Step 1: When will you apply for a sticker visa?
It is advisable that you should apply for a sticker visa at least 1 month prior to the intended date of your trip to Turkey, but the ideal date should be two months before your departure. However, in order to avoid unexpected delays or problems, the applicants should apply as soon as possible.
Step 2: Where should you apply?
You should apply for a Turkey visa at the Turkish embassy or consulate in your country where you are in residence. On top of that, you should check with this organization asking for the exact place where you should apply for a transit visa for your own safety.
Step 3: Filling out an online application form
There will be an online application form at Turkey Visa pre-application system. You have to provide exactly your information including identity, nationality, and the reason for your trip.
Step 4: What are essential items you should prepare?
Keep in mind that you should be well-prepared for required documents and arrange them logically before the date you participate in an interview. You have to show the following documents to Turkey mission:
Two identical photos: both require dimensions with 5 cm x 6 cm.
Note: Your photo guarantees the high quality (must be clear and there are no creases and marks in your photo).
- A passport: A passport is still valid at least 6 months after your arrival.
- Proof of income or savings.
- Budget: About €50 for daily expenditure in Turkey.
- A document as proof of purchased Travel Medical Insurance
- An onward ticket: You have to show your ticket containing information of your flight to the final destination.
- Visa for your final destination.
- Proof of accommodation in Turkey: You should present the documents containing the accommodation you will stay in Turkey.
- Police Clearance Certificate: You ensure that you do not commit crime in recent years.
- A Transit Visa application form: You have to fill out before.
- The proof of occupation and travel insurance.
Step 5: An interview with a consular officer: you take part in the interview on a schedule.
How long does it take to process a Transit Visa for Turkey?
Usually, it takes more or less 15 working days to finish the processing time. Moreover, it may take less working days to finish depending on each country.
During this time, you can visit the website to keep yourself updated about your transit visa status.
You transit through the airport of Istanbul, so may you need a different Visa?
When your flight must transit at Sabiha Gokcen Airport on the Asian side of Turkey or the Istanbul Ataturk Airport on the European side, you might need a Turkey Transit Visa.
Where should I contact in case I need more information?
If you have more questions so far regarding Turkey Transit Visa, you can contact us at our website or via hotline. We have many experts in this type of visa so that they can help you to provide useful advice whenever you are in need.